About

Our History

1881

Clifford Lake Inn is built in Richard’s Point (which later becomes known as Clifford Lake).

1925

Mac and Maude McConnville purchase the Inn.

1930

The Inn catches fire, destroying 80 percent of the building.

1945

Doc and Lilian Bruder purchase the Inn.

1955

Ed and Edie Welch purchase the Inn.

1963

The Inn changes ownership multiple times, switching from an inn to a restaurant to a rock ’n’ roll bar.

1975

The Inn is condemned.

1976

Norm and Dyanne Eipper purchase the condemned building and restore it.

1981

The Inn celebrates its 100th birthday.

1986

The state of Michigan designates the hotel a historic site.

1994

Steve and Tammie Eipper join as second-generation owners of the Inn.

2010

Larry and Connie McKeown purchase the Inn.

2013

The Inn closes.

2014

The Inn is purchased by Tom, Mary and Katie Stuit, Bernard Lucas and Dana Lucas-Wilmer.